As well as the specific subject knowledge gained from studying an OU qualification, you'll develop many transferable and work-related skills that are highly valued by employers and which will increase your employability.
For Business and Management careers the skills you will acquire include the ability to:
- understand key business functions such as Marketing, Human Resources, and Information Management, Accounting, Finance and Operations
- put together reasoned arguments and question assumptions
- draw together, analyse and critically evaluate information
- understand the nature of leadership skills and behaviours within organisations
- communicate effectively with others
- use ICT to research, identify and present information
- manage time and take on responsibility for your own development.
A qualification in Business and Management can lead to careers in business and opportunities in areas such as:
- Middle and senior management positions across all sectors
- Advertising and Marketing
- Human Resources
- Banking including Investment Banking
- Sales and Retail
- Management Consultancy
- Business Journalism
- Transport and Logistics
High academic standards ensure that OU qualifications are recognised and valued by professional organisations and employers. However, we advise you to research your career choices thoroughly and as early as possible, particularly in relation to experience requirements, differences that relate to where you live, or where choice of courses may affect future opportunities. More information about international recognition of OU qualifications.
Interactive career planning resources are publically available on the OU careers web site to help you consider your options before, during and after your studies. Although much of our online occupational information is UK focused, a range of international online resources is also available to assist you with careers research and planning.
As a registered OU student you will be eligible for our full careers service including personal careers advice and guidance and access to our online vacancy service, Job Zone. We also have an Employer Showcase, where you can find out about some of the UK employers who are keen to recruit OU graduates. These include:
View Business and Management courses
- Bank of America
Working and studying together shows the ambition and strong work ethic of OU students. Their drive to improve themselves, while managing the demands of work and home, shows a competency that is invaluable to Unilever.Graduate Recruitment Manager for Unilever