As well as the specific subject knowledge gained from studying an OU degree, you'll develop many transferable and work-related skills that are highly valued by employers and which will increase your employability.
Science students develop a range of employability skills including the ability to:
- compile, analyse and critically evaluate information
- understand and make informed judgements about science-based issues
- interpret, use and evaluate data
- put together reasoned arguments and question assumptions
- conduct practical and investigative work and be aware of risk assessment and health and safety regulations.
Employers of science graduates include multinational oil companies, pharmaceuticals, central and local government, water industry, food and drink companies, schools and universities, the horticultural industry and conservation bodies.
Careers in Science might involve:
- scientific research and investigation
- product design and development
- analysis and diagnostics
- science information management
- exploration and extraction of natural resources
- waste management, recycling and sustainability
- environmental management, protection and conservation.
High academic standards ensure that OU qualifications are recognised and valued by many professional organisations and employers. However, we advise you to research your career choices thoroughly and as early as possible, particularly in relation to experience requirements, differences that relate to where you live, or where choice of courses may affect future opportunities. More information about international recognition of OU qualifications.
Interactive career planning resources are publically available on the OU careers web site to help you consider your options before, during and after your studies. Although much of our online occupational information is UK focused, a range of international online resources is also available to assist you with careers research and planning.
As a registered OU student you will be eligible for our full careers service including personal careers advice and guidance and access to our online vacancy service, Job Zone. We also have an Employer Showcase, where you can find out about some of the UK employers who are keen to recruit OU graduates. These include:
View Science courses