Degrees and courses for international students
You are viewing information for England.  Change country or region.
Research degrees
Research degree fees

Fees – what you need to pay

Annual fees

All students registered for a research degree are liable for an annual fee that covers registration, supervision, examinations and graduation.

  • Where a student is in receipt of funding their fees will be met by the funding body in accordance with the provisions in the offer letter.
  • Self-funded students are required to pay annual fees in full at the beginning of the academic year (usually the beginning of October).

The annual fee depends on the research programme that you want to study, whether you are studying full time or part time, where you currently live and potentially on your nationality and immigration status.

Fees normally increase annually in line with inflation.

Annual fee amounts for 2020–21 are:

Full-time study
  Qualifications Annual fees (£)
Home and EU MPhil/PhD 4,407
Overseas non-science students MPhil/PhD 11,189
Overseas science students MPhil/PhD 14,462
Continuation fee MPhil/PhD 4,407
Writing-up fee MPhil/PhD 542
Resubmission fee MPhil/PhD 2,203
Part-time study
  Qualifications Annual fees (£)
Home and EU MPhil/PhD 2,203
Home and EU DHSC/EdD 3,356
Overseas non-science students MPhil/PhD 5,596
Overseas science students MPhil/PhD 7,231
Overseas students DHSC/EdD 8,521
Continuation fee MPhil/PhD 2,203
Writing-up fee MPhil/PhD 542
Resubmission fee MPhil/PhD 2,203
Resubmission fee DHSC/EdD 3,356
PhD by Published Work
    Annual fees (£)
Home and EU PhD by published work 5,326
Overseas students PhD by published work 6,617

Am I a UK/EU student or an international student?

UK and EU students are those who can show that:

  • they have been ‘normally resident in the UK/EU’ – not just for educational purposes – for at least three years before the start of their course


  • who can demonstrate that they are ‘settled’ in the UK/EU.

‘Settled’ means having either:

  • indefinite leave to enter or remain


  • having the right of abode in the UK.

For those students who are resident outside the EU, the fee varies according to whether they are taking a research degree in a science or in an arts discipline.

Advice for international students about fees and finance for research degrees for international students can be found on the website of the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA). Advice about visa requirements can be found on the UK Visas and Immigration website.

Continuation fees, writing-up and resubmission fees

Continuation fees

Where a student enters their fourth year (full time) or eighth year (part time) of study and are still acquiring new data they are classified as 'continuing students' and are required to pay an amount equivalent to the annual fee. The continuation fee is due upon re-registration.

Writing-up fees

Where a student enters their fourth year (full time) or eighth year (part time) of study and is no longer engaged in the acquisition of new data and is predominantly concentrating on writing up their thesis prior to submission they will be classified as writing up students. A writing up student must be in a position to submit their thesis within 12 months, or by their thesis submission date, whichever is sooner.

The write-up fee is available for a maximum of one year. Regardless of mode of study, should the student fail to submit their thesis within the ‘write-up year’ they will become liable for any continuation fee should they be granted an extension to registration.

The supervisor will need to formally confirm to the Graduate School when a student should be classified as writing up.

The writing-up fee is invoiced halfway through the year.

Resubmission fee

Where a student is required following the final examination to resubmit their thesis for re-examination a fee will apply. The charge is made to cover costs of re-examination and additional supervision.


Before accepting an offer of registration, it is important to consider your finances over the period of your studies. If you are paying your own fees, you must make sure you can meet the cost; you will not be able to proceed with your degree if your fees are in arrears. New postgraduate research students are now eligible for student loans; information on eligibility and how to apply can be found on the’s doctoral loan page. Although financial support is available for students in financial hardship, it is a small fund and should not be relied on.

Funded students

Some students are in receipt of a studentship – that is, they have applied for and successfully been awarded funding for a fixed amount of time during their studies. Current studentships are advertised on the Studentships page. Depending on the award received, which would be confirmed in their award/funding offer letter, students typically receive a stipend and the awarding body pays the fees.

Students entering the fourth year (full time) or eighth year (part time) may become liable for a continuation fee. This may not always be covered by funding bodies and the student will be expected to pay this fee – payments by instalment can be arranged using an OUSBA account (subject to credit check). Where a student is formally recorded as ‘writing up’ (i.e. they have completed their research and are focused on writing their thesis), by the time they enter the fourth year (full time) or eighth year (part time) year, the fee is reduced.

Students are advised to check whether this is covered in their award offer letter and/or with the organisation/body making the award offer.

Self-funded students

Students who are self-funded are liable for the full fees for the duration of their study.

Students entering the fourth year (full time) or eighth year (part time), will become liable for a continuation fee unless they are formally recorded as ‘writing up’ by the time they reach the end of the third (full time) or seventh (part time) year, in which case the fee is reduced.

Research student working out fees with calculator

Your questions

For advice about applying for a research degree, or sponsoring a research student, email the Graduate School or call +44 (0)1908 654882.