Mathematics and Statistics
The School of Mathematics and Statistics has an active research programme covering a wide range of topics in the mathematical sciences, with weekly seminars, and several workshops and conferences throughout the year. It is home to a number of research fellows, visiting researchers and full- and part-time research students. Research in the school centres on the following groups:
Some members of the school have research interests that span more than one of these topics.
The main period for PhD student recruitment in the school is between January and May (for study commencing in October), although opportunities occasionally arise at other times of the year. Applicants are strongly encouraged to apply for projects specified by potential supervisors, rather than propose their own. These projects and all other information about the annual recruitment process can be found on the school’s website (http://www.mathematics.open.ac.uk/phd).
Situated in the middle of the OU campus in Milton Keynes, the school provides a friendly and flexible working environment for all of its staff and students, and holds a Bronze Athena SWAN award. It particularly welcomes applications from women: the school ensures that every female PhD student is allocated a female member of staff as a point of contact, and organises networking events for female academic staff and PhD students.
- In the 2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF), 75 per cent of the outputs submitted by the OU to the mathematical sciences subpanel were assessed as world leading (4*) or internationally excellent (3*).
- Researchers include Whiteman Memorial Prize, Maxwell Medal and two Whitehead Prize winners.
- Opportunity to be part of national and international collaborations.
- Funded full-time studentships available.
- Office accommodation and facilities at Walton Hall campus (for full-time students).