Research in physics within the School of Physical Sciences falls into the following main research themes:
- cold atoms for quantum technology
- computational molecular physics
- laboratory astrophysics
- molecular clusters
- physics education
- plasma physics
- surface physics
- theoretical condensed matter and biophysics.
- Our work is at the forefront of modern science, and we featured in submissions to RAE2008 and REF 2014.
- Research is funded by industry and by national and international funding agencies, including the European Union.
- Research students are recruited both nationally (some grants are restricted to UK nationals) and internationally.
Researchers within the Physics Research Group have a suite of state-of-the-art laboratories on the OU campus. They also have access to the university’s IMPACT computing cluster and external computing facilities.