- Choose your course type: Decide which level of study you’d like to register for. (If you’ve already studied at university level, you may be able to count your previous study towards your Open University qualification – see previous study.)
- Choose your course: View our courses and choose the one for you.
- Register your place: Go to your chosen qualification, select your preferred start date and click on ‘Register now’.
- Choose your first module(s): We’ll ask you to select the module(s) you intend to study in the first year. Some of the modules in your chosen qualification will be compulsory while others may be selected from a list of options.
- Complete your registration: To complete your registration, you’ll need to confirm your payment method. Check the ways to pay page for more information on how you can pay.
- Start studying: You’re officially an Open University student. Welcome!
The OU are super organised and brilliant at the administrative side of applying to study. If ever I had a question, the helpline was always a great place to start and usually had things sorted out within a few minutes.Katie Good, BA Social Sciences
- Choose your qualification: Decide which qualification you’d like to study towards. For postgraduate degrees, you’ll often be required to have qualifications equivalent to a UK undergraduate degree.
- Select your first module: Like our undergraduate qualifications, there may be a mix of compulsory and optional modules. Remember to review the entry requirements.
- Register on your module: Click into the full module description and register on your chosen start date.
- Complete module payment: Check the ways to pay page for information on your options.
You’re more likely to be successful at postgraduate study, if you choose a course of study that builds on your existing qualifications or professional expertise. Each qualification and module description includes detailed information about the conditions you need to meet to be able to study on that course.
English language requirements
A good standard of written and spoken English is required to study with The Open University, but a formal language qualifications (such as IELTS) is not necessary.Generally, your English simply needs to be sufficient to:
- use study materials, including books, video and audio, and
- communicate effectively with your fellow students, your tutor and other Open University staff.