The Open University’s reputation is outstanding: we’re the world leaders in distance learning.
We’re renowned for a number of reasons:
- The quality of our research: 50% of our research is ranked as internationally excellent, with 14% as world leading.
- Our history: We’ve been teaching students successfully for over forty years.
- Our mission: We’re committed to making higher education open to all.
- Our popularity: Approximately a quarter of a million people are currently studying with us, over 16,000 of whom live outside the UK, with 71% in full or part-time employment.
- Our work with employers: More than 50,000 employers have so far sponsored staff to enrol on Open University courses.
- Our thriving partnerships: This is especially true of our partnership with the BBC; there are 275 million views and listens of Open University programmes in the UK annually.
- Our willingness to innovate: From late-night television broadcasts in the 1970s through to digital downloads today, we’re reputed for our innovation. Worldwide, there have been 65 million downloads of our offerings on iTunes U to date, and in one year alone OpenLearn attracted 5.2 million visitors (2012/13).
- Our accreditation: our Business School is among the top business schools, being one of an elite group to have earned triple accreditation from the world's leading management accreditation associations for the MBA programme.
A recent survey (published in November 2015) shows that UK employers rate The Open University highly. The survey, published in the Times Higher Educational Supplement
, ranks the best UK universities as chosen by major UK employers. The Open University ranks in 13th place, with the universities of Oxford and Cambridge taking first and second place respectively.
The Open University is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education
which is a voluntary, non-governmental, membership association that defines, maintains and promotes educational excellence across institutions with diverse missions, student populations and resources. The Open University has been a member since 2005 and its accreditation was re-affirmed in November 2015.
Having The Open University on my CV has sparked a question in every interview since I started studying, and has always been seen in a really positive light. The reputation for quality helps.Jake Smith, Open degree