Degrees and courses for international students
You are viewing information for England.  Change country or region.
Research degrees
Degrees we offer

Degrees we offer

Our research degrees include PhD, Professional Doctorate and MPhil. We are experienced in supporting both full- and part-time research students.


Research student explaining her work at poster exhibition

Types of degree available

Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) (full and part time)

A Doctorate of Philosophy is a prestigious qualification, demonstrating talent, academic excellence and a thirst for knowledge.

Doctorate in Education (EdD) (part time only)

An innovative programme for professionals working in the field of education and related areas who want to extend and deepen their understanding of contemporary educational issues.

Doctorate in Health and Social Care (DHSC) (part time only)

A rich programme of part-time study designed predominantly for health and social care professionals, offering the chance to enhance their careers to doctoral level.

Master of Philosophy (MPhil) (full and part time)

An MPhil is an advanced postgraduate research degree, ideal for students who are not able to commit to the period of study required for doctoral research.

Full-time study or part-time study?

Full-time study

PhDs and MPhils may be studied full-time.

Part-time study

DHSC and EdD degrees, MPhils and most PhDs, are available for part-time study.

Other degrees

PhD by Published Works

Available to internal OU staff and staff based at our Affiliated Research Centres only. Talk to the Graduate School if you’re interested in this option.

Higher doctorates

The University also awards two higher doctorates, the Doctor of Letters (DLitt) and the Doctor of Science (DSc) on the basis of published work. These qualifications are only open to graduates of the University, a graduate holding a degree validated by The Open University who is not otherwise eligible for registration with a degree-awarding institution, members of University staff of at least three years standing (including Associate Lecturers) and others with established links to the University. Please contact the Graduate School for further information.

Your questions

For advice about applying for a research degree, or sponsoring a research student, email the Graduate School or call +44 (0)1908 654882.